San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
October 19, 1994
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Erl Cabanas, Arnie Robinson, Joni Shirley, Jim Skelly, and Elizabeth Tate.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of August 17.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $10,263.22 as of October 7, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Bache resigned her chairmanships for Women's LDR and Youth, suggesting that there are possible replacements for each.
- Bache reported that the 1994 Junior Olympic Regional Cross Country Championships had been scheduled for San Diego with Manny Bautista in charge. Los Angeles did not like the date, so published another. Bautista quit as director. The meet will be in Los Angeles with Mo Haneef in charge.
- Tate expressed an interest in Youth Athletics, wanting to see plenty of meets for kids. In other areas, each club puts on a meet. The Board discussed the requirements for Youth Chairman. The primary responsibility is conducting championship meets.
- The President formed a selection committee for a new Youth Chairman: Bache, Bernard, and J. Shirley.
- The Board unanimously approved a motion by Skelly that Robinson be Youth Chairman until the end of 1995. Cabanas volunteered to assist.
- The Board discussed possibilities for track and field meets. After some discussion of the division of the proceeds the Board unanimously approved a motion by Bernard that 25% of the net from Championship meets goes to SDIAC.
- Tate pointed out the need for some youth cross country meets.
- Skelly reported that the Officials Association will have a workshop in January. They worked the Arturio Barrios 10K and will do the Steve Scott miles.
- J. Shirley reported on preparations for the Mission Bay 25K. The race will offer $450 in awards. The 1994 race is not a National Masters championship, but there will be a bid for 1995. The Board unanimously (with the Shirleys abstaining) approved a motion by Bernard that SDIAC contribute $150 in support of the race.
- G. Shirley reported on the proposals for changes to the USATF Competition Rules. He also reported on problems with information from the races in the Cross Country series.
- The list of delegates to the USATF National Convention includes Bernard, Robinson, G. Shirley, Skelly, Tate, and, presumably, Bautista and Pagel.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:11 p.m.