San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
October 18, 1995
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:25 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Jim Cerveny, Adam Henderson, Darryl Lassen, Arnie Robinson, Joni Shirley, Jim Skelly, and Elizabeth Tate.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of August 16.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $8494.98 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- The Senior Association Cross Country Championships are scheduled November 4 at Morley Field. Bernard stated that the courses are set. G. Shirley said that the scoring for the Cross Country Series is up to date and there have been no significant problems.
- The Association Junior Olympics Cross Country Championships are scheduled November 11 at Rohr Park. dam Henderson is the meet director.
- Bernard reported on a conversation with Tim Wason, meet director of the West Regional Cross Country Championships. This year's Regionals are on next year's National Championship course. Wason would like us to send an Association team.
- Skelly advised the Board that Bob Gilmore has been in ill health and might appreciate a call.
- Cerveny stated that he is getting more involved at the Association level now that he is back coaching at the collegiate level. Cuyamaca has physical education facilities going in, along with a new track. Grossmont no longer has a track and field program; it has been combined with Cuyamaca's.
- Skelly noted that Tony Salerno will be having two big meets this coming season. One will be a throws meet on March 30.
- Robinson said he lost part of his coaching staff when the Pagels went to Kent University. Pat Thiss will now coach the throws at Mesa.
- The Board listed a number of people who plan to attend the National Convention in Atlanta: Manny Bautista, Bernard, Cerveny, Sonya Hill, Robinson, the Shirleys, Skelly, and Tate.
- Lassen will conduct a youth Halloween run October 29 for grades five through eight.
- G. Shirley noted that the most recent Executive Report stated that Hal Bateman had recent brain surgery. His address is 6490 Miramar Court, Indianapolis IN 46250.
- The All-Sports office has moved to 1511 Morena, San Diego 92110.
- The Board unanimously approved a motion by Lassen to raise the dues to $13 for adults, $9 for youth.
- Robinson stated that the Junior Olympics Track and Field Championships are planned for the Olympic Training Center. The Association meet will be June 14-16, with all the events for the oldest two groups on the first day. The Regional Championships will be July 12-14.
- Robinson is also planning the Mesa Invitational Challenge April 6 with an unusual format. Each team may enter only 10 athletes; each athlete may enter only three events. Prizes will go to the coaches.
- Some upcoming meets have been scheduled: Cuyamaca All-Comers January 27; SDSU All-Comers February 10; East County Youth Relays April 21.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:49 p.m.