San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
October 19, 2005
- President Graeme Shirley called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Jay Beltz, Kettrell Berry, Paul Greer, Thom Hunt, Lillian Mahoney, Jennifer Nanista, and Jim Skelly.
- The Board unanimously approved the minutes of the September 21 Annual Meeting.
- Treasurer Lolitia Bache provided a written report stating that the checking account balance was $9,048.03, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000. She also stated that she attended the youth committee meeting, explained their financial situation, and informed them that she will be handling the entry fees and expenses for the Association Junior Olympics Cross Country Championships. She also pointed out that except for youth, all other sport committees were under budget.
- Nanista reported that she would be meeting with Paul Baumhoefner of the San Diego Track Club next month to go over the budgeting of the Association Track & Field Championships and would be speaking with the sponsor in order to have a bigger and better meet next year with prize money and other specials. She is moving forward in all avenues and hopes that with such advance preparation this meet will turn out to be a well attended, well sponsored meet next year.
- Greer reported that the Janice Riedel put up the results of the Dirt Dog series on the San Diego website after complaints from various sources when they could not find the results. He would like to have the results up on the USATF website or a link thereto. Saturday’s Dirt Dog is the Cuyamaca 5K with the final event and Championship set for November 12th at Morley Field. Greer recommended that Riedel also continue to perform this task of posting the Dirt Dog results.
- Skelly reported that currently there are 79 certified officials. The Officials association annual meeting will be January 14, 2006 at Mesa College with the Certification workshop the week after, on January 21, 2006, also at Mesa College.
- Berry reported on the Masters Track & Field World Championships and mentioned that in addition to James Chinn's mark reported last month, Rita Hanscom placed 4th in the W50 100 meters in 13.32, 5th in the 200 in 27.78 and third in Pole Vault at 2.40 meters.
- Berry also reported that the Youth Committee elected Roland Morris as their representative on the Board. The Board discussed the process of selecting the youth chairman.
- In the absence of the Race Walk chairman, there was no report. It was understood that Philip Dunn was working on the USA 30 km Race Walk Championship scheduled in January.
- Shirley gave the registration report. As of October 18, the Association had 1625 members (1126 youth, 216 open, and 283 masters). This should be nearly the total for 2005, since 2006 registrations start November 1.
- Hunt brought the draft of the advertisement for the CIF booklet, together with his laptop to finalize it this evening. He asked for input from all Board members and received several suggestions. Hunt planned on finalizing and providing this tomorrow.
- Greer asked if any plans had been started concerning the upcoming Awards Banquet. It was noted that the Vice President normally chaired this and had a committee. Although new, Beltz indicated he did not mind that the position of Vice President also had responsibilities of being chair of this banquet, he just needed more details on how it is handled.
- Bache told the Board that the Secretary, Sharon Powell, just had surgery. All wished her well, with a speedy recovery.
- The meeting adjourned at 7:41 p.m.