San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
August 16, 2006
- President Graeme Shirley called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President the attendees were Jay Beltz, Lolitia Bache, Philip Dunn, Thom Hunt, Lillian Mahoney, Jennifer Nanista, Jim Skelly, and Wes Williams.
- The Board approved the minutes of the July 19 meeting.
- Bache provided a written Treasurer's report. The checking account balance is $6038.16, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- As part of the Treasurer's report Bache stated that invoices had been presented to the Board for expenses that were not authorized in approving the budget for the meet, including fees for the timing system. She returned an explanation of why she was not paying those items.
- Bache also reported that, although the Association paid all the expenses for the Junior Olympics Championships, no entry fees have been received.
- Bache further reported that the audit of the fees paid for SDIYAC expenses is almost complete.
- Nanista reported that the Aztec Invitational is on the Dirt Dogs schedule, with a people's race to start the schedule. That race will be followed by four collegiate and invitational races. A total of 1000 runners is expected.
- Hunt reported that the Dirt Dog Series will start August 19 with the Bake the Lake 4-Mile. The Board approved Hunt's motion to authorize $3300 in prize money for the series.
- Hunt gave an update on the 2008 USA Trials for the World Cross Country Championships. The USA Masters 8 km and USA Junior Championships will be held in conjunction with the trials.
- Dunn reported that the USA 30 km Race Walk Championships would be January 14 on the Chula Vista course, with additional events at 10 km and 20 km. There is some discussion of a change in date and distance. There is also a competing bid for the 50 km Olympic team selection race in 2008.
- Shirley reported that 23 Masters from San Diego participated in the USA Masters Track & Field Championships in Charlotte, NC, of which 16 medaled. Gerry Davidson, Nadine O'Connor, and Leland McPhie broke American Records.
- Shirley reported that total registration was 1575, exactly the same as last year at the same time.
- The Board approved a motion by Hunt to hold the September 20 Annual Meeting at Road Runner Sports. A mailing is going to the membership within the next two days advising them of the location and candidates. The mailing will include submitted biographies.
- The Board discussed election procedures and noted the confusion at the 2004 elections concerning the general statement in the Bylaws that member organizations receive a vote. Since this not only does not apply to an open meeting election, but only to voting by constituencies, and, further, conflicts with the requirements that only qualified members may vote and that each person can only vote once, the Board unanimously approved a motion by Beltz to remove the statement from the Bylaws. This amendment includes the understanding that the deleted provision (or a replacement giving more votes to larger clubs) may need to be reintroduced if the Association changes its voting method.
- The Board unanimously approved Jay Beltz as Association workshop representative for August 25 in Pittsburgh, PA, and authorized paying expenses above the reimbursement from the national office.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:14 p.m.