San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
October 21, 1987
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Linda Gorman, Bob Sieben, Bill Stock, and Judy Stolpe.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of August 19.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $6601.89, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- The President gave the registration report. SDIAC had 989 members as the year approached its end.
- Stolpe reported on an Oct. 21 meeting of the Public Services and Safety Committee on Cost Recovery. Some of her major points: There was insufficient notice of the meeting; neither time nor location had been set as of Oct. 20. Bernard did not receive notice; only Stolpe and Neil Finn attended. The committee proposes total cost recovery from road races, an estimated $45,000 annually. Any road race with the name of a commercial entity on the flyer will pay. Some events will be grandfathered; this list will be revised with the city budget. The fee will be based on police manhours; these costs are higher for races in the summer, when Mission Bay Park is unavailable. Three options are available to the council when they act on the proposal: (1) reject, substitute a different proposal; (2) modify; (3) continue offering free services. Stolpe suggested SDIAC write a letter to the committee.
- The President announced that the national insurance policy with Marsh & McLennan for event liability coverage expires December 7. There will be a new carrier and new agent. This will affect sanctions.
- The Board approved a motion by Stock that SDIAC purchase a new clock.
- Bache noted that a local runner who had been caught cheating in a race is showing up in local results, but there was no suggestion of further questionable marks.
- Sieben reported on the Balboa Stadium Committee composition.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:33 p.m.