San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Hafer Steel Company
June 21, 1989
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Cindy Cohagen, Linda Gorman, Ed Oleata, Jeff Rigdon, Bob Sieben, and Bill Stock.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of April 19.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $13,738.61 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Oleata reported on the June 25 Masters Track and Field Championships. Over 150 have entered.
- Bernard stated that the check for purchase of the wind gauge has been cashed, but the instrument has not arrived.
- Bernard reported that the Ekiden relay again contributed $1000 to the Association.
- The Board approved a motion by Shirley to authorize the expenditure of up to $1000 for a fax machine.
- Gorman reported on the June 4 Junior Olympics Track and Field Championships. Over 400 member athletes competed. Several local runners did well at the Regionals. The Board approved Gorman's motion that SDIAC contribute $100 toward the travel expenses of one of the winners, Riley Washington (intermediate boys 100m), to go to the National Junior Olympics Track and Field Championships.
- Shirley noted that the Flower Festival 10K, held on June 11, claimed TAC sanction both on the entry blank and in press releases, yet was not sanctioned. The race was sanctioned in 1988. The President will contact the race directors.
- Shirley objected to the sanctioning of events such as Rick Kozlowski's September 23 "Doggy Dash" at Belmont Park, which apparently has no competition between humans. The President noted that the National office has contacted him concerning the sanction and is in contact with the director.
- The membership printout for May 31 lists 766 individuals.
- The Board held a general discussion of SDSU's suspension of their track and field programs, but took no action.
- The Board approved a motion by Oleata that SDIAC sponsor, to a limit of $500, holding two all-comers track and field meets. Oleata and Sieben will organize the events.
- Shirley raised the issue of 62 members listing their residence as 2416 Biola Avenue. The Board approved a motion by Gorman that the President correspond with the coach of the San Diego Track Club Baja Division and inform him of the TAC rules regarding eligibility for membership, and remind him that entry form waivers must be signed by a parent or guardian.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:43 p.m.