San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
February 16, 2005
- President Graeme Shirley called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President, the attendees were Nelson Alexander, Lolitia Bache, Kettrell Berry, Philip Dunn, Paul Greer, Sharon Powell, Jim Skelly, and Wes Williams.
- In the absence of the Secretary, the Chairman named Lolitia Bache Recording Secretary.
- Treasurer Lolitia Bache reported that the checking account balance was $10,529.31 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Williams reported that the Association Track & Field Championships will again be on a Thursday, possibly June 16.
- The President informed the Board that Arnie Robinson had resigned as Vice President.
- Dunn reported on the USA 50 km Race Walk Championships at Lake Louisa State Park, Clermont, Florida on February 13. Curt Clausen won another national championship, Dunn finished second. Both qualified for the Pan Am Race Walking Cup in May in Lima and the World Track and Field Championships in August in Helsinki.
- Dunn also reported on the USA 30 km Race Walk Championships in Chula Vista on January 23. Again, Clausen was first, Dunn second.
- Alexander reported on the youth meets. He and Randy Thompson are organizing the Association Junior Olympics June 11-12 and the Regional Junior Olympics June 25-26.
- Berry reported on the Association Masters Track & Field Championships. His preference is July 9. Chuck McMahon and Senior Olympics plan a meet June 23. In some recent years these meets have been combined. Negotiations continue. The Regional Championships are July 23 and the Nationals are August 4.
- Greer reported on the May 7 Distance Carnival. Information is ready to add to the website. Online registration will be provided through either active.com or directathletics.com.
- Skelly announced that 58 officials had been recertified to date for the current Olympiad.
- The registration chairman reported that 2005 registrations were 20 per cent ahead of the record year of 2004, almost 700, primarily due to youth members.
- Bache reported on the Awards Luncheon. 90 attended. The consensus was that the Sunday afternoon scheduling was more appropraite for youth.
- The President informed the Board that he would appoint a chairman for the 2006 Awards Banquet who is not a member of the Board. He solicited suggestions.
- The President informed the Board of a Long Distance Running development program, and asked the Long Distance Running Chairmen to select championship slots and qualifying races.
- The President informed the Board of the 2005 Association Grants Program. There is a May 30 deadline for applications.
- The President introduced the subject of the San Diego High School Record Book published by Steve Brand and Rich Cota. The Board approved a motion by Bache to authorize the expenditure of up to $250 for Sharon Powell to create an ad for the publication.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:02 p.m.